Blog Post by Ann Kling
Have you ever observed a preschooler trying to place blocks into the same cut-out shape? Yep. The round peg fits the round hole and the square peg fits the square hole. It is amusing to watch the drama played out. Some will try and try again until they succeed. Others will throw the blocks in disgust while a few will just walk away, thinking it is impossible.
In 1443, Korea decided that to use Chinese characters for their language was “like trying to fit a square handle into a round hole”. It is interesting how far back this saying goes. The definition according to Free Dictionary is “a person who does not fit in or is not comfortable with others or a particular situation.”
Am I a square peg?
After meditating on this topic for a week, I suddenly realized all my life I felt like I didn’t fit; I didn’t belong to my family of origin. I asked my parents when I was twelve if they would help me find my birth parents. What?! They were shocked. Yes; I look just like my daddy. I felt like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Partly, because my mom rejected me and gave me mixed signals while my father was sweet but not emotionally connected to me. Since this time I have gone to Crossing2Freedom classes and prayed through to forgive and release my parents.I started thinking about being a Christian, a born-again follower of Jesus. Being a square peg that can’t fit into a round hole pretty much describes how we feel in the world’s system and often around unbelievers. Click To TweetThe Bible has lots to say about this, and I jotted down a few:
- Do NOT copy the behavior and customs of the world. Romans 12:2
- You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil. Ephesians 2:2
- Don’t let ANYONE capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking. Colossians 2:8
- Some people claim they know God, but they deny Him by the way they live. Titus 1:16
- Keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts. 1 John 5:21
Stop Trying to Fit!
The world jokes about a “square” person being a party pooper. Of course, they say much worse things about Jesus and His followers; some even kill, maim, enslave, or imprison Believers. Think ISIS for example.
So, according to the Word, if you are a square peg then you MUST STOP trying to fit into the round hole (the world’s system without Jesus). It won’t work. You will just scrape up your edges (ouch!) and still not fit. Just CELEBRATE life with Jesus and be glad you no longer fit into the round hole. How shall we respond to those who do fit into the round hole and try to pull us back or deliberately shun and hate us? Realize “the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions.” 1 John 2:15,16.
- Speak the truth in love. Ephesians 4:15
- Pray for those who persecute you. Matthew 5:43,44
- Forgive anyone who offends you. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Colossians 3:13
- Let your good deeds shine.
- Walk in humility 1 Peter 5:5
- Love others and honor them Romans 12:10
- Be kind and gentle and live in peace in as much as you are able.
But, if they do not see any difference in the way that we live and their own lifestyle, why would they even be interested in what He has to offer? Can others say, “they have been with Jesus.”
“Father, I am thankful that you have rescued me from the world’s system, filled me with your Holy Spirit, and have guaranteed my eternal life with you. Empower me to love and forgive those who still fit in the world and who try to make me fit too. May my life reflect your truth and your love, so they will desire to become “a square peg that can no longer fit into a round hole.”